Recipe by @foodminimalist Servings: 2 Total Time: 45 minutes
• 1lb Squid Tubes & Tentacles, thawed
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 - 1 tsp chili flakes
• 1 can (28oz) whole tomatoes
• Bay leaves
• 1/2 cup water, clam/lobster juice or fish stock (your choice)
• 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
• Fresh parsley to garnish
• Pasta to serve
1. Add some olive oil to a med-large saucepan. Over medium heat, stir in a small chopped onion, minced garlic, and chili pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 2-3 mins.
2. Pour in a 28oz can of whole tomatoes, including the liquid, along with a couple bay leaves, and about ½ cup of the liquid of your choice. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes over medium heat, breaking up the tomatoes into smaller pieces.
3. Add in the squid tubes & tentacles. Lower the heat to med-low or low, cover the saucepan and simmer for about 30 min, or until the calamari is tender. Stir the sauce occasionally.
4. While the calamari-tomato sauce simmers, cook your preferred pasta. Save some of the pasta water if you think you need to thin out your tomato sauce a bit.
5. Right before serving, remove the bay leaves, add in the kalamata olives, parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta and enjoy!