Recipe by Chef Derrick Prince Servings: 2 Total Time: 35 minutes
• 2 Dozen Littleneck Clams
• 2 tbl EVOO (+2-3 tbl more for the tray)
• 1/2 tsp Oregano
• 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
• 1/2 C Diced Onion
• 1/2 C Diced Red Bell Pepper
• 1 tbl Diced Jalapeño
• 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 C White Wine
• 24 slices pepperoni, cut into 1/4 strips
• 5 leaves basil, chiffonade
• 2 tbl Italian Bread Crumbs
• 1 Lemon
• Bread for dipping!
1. Heat the olive oil and oregano over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add the onion bell pepper, and jalapeño, and sauté until just cooked, about 4 minutes. Veggies should still have bite. Add the wine and cook until reduced by 1/2. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
3. When you open the clams, do so over a cup or bowl to catch the juice that they release. Set aside - there will be some sediment in this liquid, you can let it fall to the bottom after a few minutes or you can strain through a coffee filter.
4. Set the open clams on a sheet tray, evenly distribute the "sauce" on to the clams then top with 1/4 tsp of bread crumbs and about 1 slice pepperoni worth of pepperoni strips. Drizzle the clams and tray with more olive oil and then finally the liquid from the clams.
5. Bake at 450 for 12 minutes then switch to the broiler and broil for 2 minutes or until pepperoni gets a little crispy.
6. Garnish with fresh basil, serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread - you'll want to make sure you don't waste anything left in the tray you cooked the clams in.